Submissions to The Wire’s Dream Magazine
The Black Lion Journal’s mission is to honor and value life perspectives and worldviews — The Wire’s Dream Magazine is the creative extension of that mission. Creative work in Fiction, Poetry, Art, Creative Non-Fiction, Photography, or Mixed Graphics/Combinación (a combination) is welcomed. Work can vary in whimsical, genre-blending, experimental, traditional, and/or minimalistic approaches. The Publisher // The Publisher’s Credo
For Future Submissions »
The Submissions window for TWD Magazine will be amended as follows:
Instead of January 1st – June 1st & July 1st – December 1st, submissions are now open from January 1st – May 1st & July 1st – November 1st.
Fiction or Creative Non-Fiction
• 1 – 2 pieces at one time
• 500 – 2500 words per piece
If you’re submitting pieces on the longer side (2500 words), please upload them in two separate Word or PDF documents. Mixing: 1 Fiction and 1 Creative Non-Fiction per submission is okay! So is: 2 Fiction – or – 2 Creative Non-Fiction per submission.
• 1 – 5 poems per submission
• Place all poems within one Word or PDF document
Art & Photography
• 1 – 8 high quality resolution images per submission (resolution at 150 – 300) in PNG or TIFF only
• Attach all images in one email; if the files are too large for one email, you may zip them in a folder and attach them that way. You may also attach them in more than one email; however, be sure that you name and number the emails (eg. “[Name] Email 1 of 2”)
Graphic Arts & Combination/Combinación
If you’re concerned about where your work will fit in, be not afraid; it can live in the Combinación, or Combination category. Here, you will find pieces that merge genres and classifications, that are considered wordless or graphic narratives, or pieces that are experimental. Regardless of their form, submitting your work is simple:
• If your work is primarily visual, like a wordless narrative, please follow the guidelines for attaching PNG or TIFF files.
• If your work is a combination of text and visual elements, like a graphic novel/comic chapter, then also follow the guidelines for attaching PNG or TIFF files.
• If your work is primarily text based, then please follow the guidelines for attaching written Word documents.
Any questions can always be directed to:
Response time will be made in the order in which it was received.
• • •
By submitting, you authenticate that your work is your own and you give The Black Lion Journal permission to post your work online and to maintain it in The Wire’s Dream archives. You also give The Black Lion Journal permission to create a potential souvenir print anthology — of the issue in which your work appeared in — for you, for the fellow contributors who also submitted work, and for potential giveaways as part of the promotion of you and your work. REMINDER: The Black Lion Journal works to promote YOU. Copyrights always remain with the author/artist/photographer and work will not be sold for profit.
In the body of your email submission, please provide an introduction:
• Full Name & (Optional) Online Pen Name
• Please feel free to include any Preferred Gender Pronoun
• Bio Picture or Avatar — Any Type Of Representation Of Yourself (Attached)
• Brief Personal Bio (150 – 200 words)
• Social Media Link(s)
• Link to Blog/Website
• Link(s) to Previous Publications (if applicable)
Send Submission(s) To:
Subject line: Your name (Indicate the type of submission you’re submitting: Fiction/Creative Non-Fiction, Poetry, Art, Photography, Combinación/Combination)
The Black Lion Journal does not charge reading fees for The Wire’s Dream.
• Submissions for The Wire’s Dream are open from January 1st – May 1st & July 1st – November 1st (TWD Magazine publication is organized according to The Black Lion Journal’s semi-annual parts)
• Copyrights remain with the author/artist/photographer. Please credit The Black Lion Journal’s The Wire’s Dream Magazine with 1st publication.
• Simultaneous submissions are accepted, provided that you note which pieces are being simultaneously submitted, if any.
• Please send unseen work! Republication will not be considered at this time.
• Extensive workshop-styled feedback for written work may be given in an opt-in basis only. In your Personal Introduction, please note whether you want this type of feedback on any written work.
• Additional feedback on accepted work may also be given, as needed.
Respect & Value
Please consider that all work published by The Black Lion Journal must adhere to its Credo. With this in mind, pieces that are explicitly construed as openly offensive, violent, sexist, racist, hateful, and/or hurtful to any person(s) or group(s) will not be considered and will be deleted.